The Library is your partner in your family's learning. Through free books, educational programs, online tutoring, and more the Library will help your child get ready for Kindergarten, continue their educational journey, and develop a love of reading that will last throughout their lifetime.
Loussac Caregiver's Collection
Available on the second floor of the Loussac Library, the Loussac Caregiver's Collection (call number LCC-J) features books for people who work with and care for children. These include books on homeschooling, family activities, educational activities for children, running a childcare, teaching, brain development in children, infant care, baby sign language, youth librarianship, children's literature, and more. You may also place holds on these items to pick up at other locations.
Online Learning & Digital Resources
With so many online education tools, it can be tough to figure out what’s best for your child. Here are some guides to help you navigate education in the age of the Internet:
- Smart Apps for Kids - reviews of apps for kids
- Common Sense Media - reviews of apps, television, books, music, and so much with ratings for violence, positive messages, language, consumerism, and other categories
- Parents’ Choice Awards - award winning apps for children
- Alaska's Internet Circle of Safety - tips for parents and librarians to guide online experiences for kids
- Library Online Resources - use our databases to research subjects safely and with verified sources!
- How to Smile.org - Search over 3,500 of the very best science and math activities on the web.
Curriculum & School Standards
The national PTA and Council of Great City Schools offer free brochures with Common Core standards listed by grade level for all states. Available in English and Spanish.
- Parents' Guides to Student Success
- Parent Roadmaps: English Language Arts and Literacy
- Parent Roadmaps: Mathematics
Alaska Educational Standards
Homeschooling has a long history in Alaska. While no formal registration is required, there are a number of options that will provide additional funds, supports, and resources.
Alaska Statewide Correspondence and Homeschool - information from the State of Alaska education department regarding homeschool options and regulations.
Homeschool support programs and charter schools (not a comprehensive list, for that please go here):
- CyberLynx - statewide homeschool and correspondence school program
- Denali Peak - statewide homeschool and correspondence program through Denali Borough School District
- Family Partnership Charter School - Anchorage School District charter school for homeschoolers
- FOCUS Homeschool - statewide homeschool and correspondence school program through Chugach School District
- Frontier Charter School - Anchorage School District charter school for homeschoolers
- IDEA - long running Alaskan homeschooling support program, open to everyone in the state through Galena School District
- PACE - statewide homeschool program through Craig School District
- PAIDEIA - Anchorage School District charter school offering homeschool support and cooperative classes
- Raven - run in conjunction with the Yukon-Koyukuk School District but open statewide as a homeschool program
Early Literacy & Countdown to Kindergarten
Enjoy these Anchorage and Alaska specific resources for early childhood education, early literacy, and kindergarten readiness.
- Thread -Find childcare and early childhood education options.
- The ABCs of Child Development - Learn about developmental milestones and how to encourage your young child's brain.
- Arise - This online tool helps parents and caregivers prepare their children for kindergarten by providing ideas and techniques to spark learning and meaningful interactions with their children.
- Anchorage School District: Kindergarten - Local resources for getting ready for Kindergarten
- Best Beginnings - Alaskan focused activities for early learning
- PIC AK - Programs for Infants and Children, Alaska, assessment and special needs and developmental assistance for children up to age 3.
Healing Library Kits for Parents & Caregivers
The Healing Library offers free, downloadable resources for families and caregivers who need to deal with tough topics. Each topic guide was created by a team of librarians, social workers, and child psychology experts to help the community. The guides are very comprehensive, and there's something for everyone-- feel free to pick and choose the activities that work best for you!
Don't see what you need? Contact APL librarians for personalized help!