The Library is your partner in your family's learning. Through free books, educational programs, online tutoring, and more the Library will help your child get ready for Kindergarten and develop a love of reading that will last throughout their lifetime.
Schedule a group or class visit at the library
Schools, daycares, scouts, and other youth groups are encouraged to visit our libraries anytime! Groups of 10 or more should contact the Library to schedule your visit. For groups with children under 8 years old, there should be 1 adult for every 7 children.
With at least a week’s notice, we can gather research materials for school groups if you are researching a specific topic, and if availability allows, we can offer a special storytime or research how-to presentation for your group. Students can check out materials with an existing library cards or get new cards on the day of the visit. Learn more about getting a library card.
To schedule a librarian to visit your school, contact the librarian at the closest library branch. We focus on outreach visits during April and May but are willing to come any time of year!
We welcome homeschoolers to visit our libraries any time! We offer classes on using library resources. Contact the closest library to find out when the next program is. Additionally, we may be able to visit your group at an outside location.
For more information about bringing a group to the library or having a librarian visit your group, please contact the Youth Services Coordinator, Elizabeth Nicolai, at 907-343-2840 or NicolaiEL@muni.org
Early Literacy & Countdown to Kindergarten
- Thread -Find childcare and early childhood education options.
- The ABCs of Child Development - Learn about developmental milestones and how to encourage your young child's brain.
- Arise - This online tool helps parents and caregivers prepare their children for kindergarten by providing ideas and techniques to spark learning and meaningful interactions with their children.
- Scholastic: Transition to Kindergarten - Resources for getting reading for Kindergarten
- Anchorage School District: Kindergarten - Local resources for getting ready for Kindergarten
- Sign Language for Children - get started communicating with baby sign
- Sing With Our Kids - singing builds pre-reading skills, bonds you to your baby, and so much more. Here are new and traditional songs and tips for parents and children!
- Storyblocks - songs and rhymes that build readers
- Jbrary - songs & rhymes to share together
- Best Beginnings - Alaskan focused activities for early learning
Reading Rendezvous & Summer Discovery
The Anchorage Public Library hosts Reading Rendevous as a kick-off event of Summer Discovery, a program encouraging our community to continue reading and learning through the summer. It is a free, community-sponsored event at Loussac Library. Local businesses offer activities and games, and there have also been musicians, live animals, and more in the past. All summer long keeping track of reading and learning activities will earn prizes!
Reading Rendezvous kicks off Summer Discovery on Saturday May 19, 2018, 12pm to 4pm.
Encouraging a Love of Reading
- Tumble books: An interactive online reading experience where kids can read along to all sorts of books with interactive games and quizzes to make reading even more fun!
- Start With a Book - a way to explore topics and find books and expansion activities to engage children in reading
- Juvenile Series and Sequels - find the next book in that great series
- Best Homework Practices - tips from Scholastic to help with the homework struggle
- Battle of the Books – Information about the Alaska Battle of the Books program
Learning in the Age of the Internet
With so many online education tools, it can be tough to figure out what’s best for your child. Here are some guides to help you navigate education in the age of the Internet.
- Smart Aps for Kids - reviews of apps for kids
- Common Sense Media - rewviews of apps, television, books, music, and so much with ratings for violence, positive messages, language, consumerism, and other categories
- Parents’ Choice Awards - award winning apps for children
- Alaska's Internet Circle of Safety - tips for parents and librarians to guide online experiences for kids
- Library Online Resources - use our databases to research subjects safely and with verified sources!
- How to Smile.org - Search over 3,500 of the very best science and math activities on the web.
Curriculum & School Standards
The national PTA and Council of Great City Schools offer free brochures with Common Core standards listed by grade level for all states. Available in English and Spanish.
- Parents' Guides to Student Success
- Parent Roadmaps: English Language Arts and Literacy
- Parent Roadmaps: Mathematics
Information Literacy Standards