Join our Winter Reading Challenge – for Grown-Ups!
Jump start your reading habit and shake off the winter blues by challenging yourself to read five books in eleven weeks. Use our bingo cards to explore new genres, new authors, or re-discover old favorites.
Get a bingo card from any APL location or print it from our website. Play one or collect all three. Complete a prompt in one of the squares and cross it off. Finish 5 squares in a row vertically, horizontally, or diagonally, and you have a bingo! Bring your card with 1 or more bingos to any APL location by March 16 to claim a prize and enter the drawing for a grand prize.
Use #AKWinterReading and #helpmytbr on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to give recommendations and to see what other folks are reading this winter’s challenge.
- Keep track of the books you complete January 2-March 16, 2024.
- A title can only be used once.
- Audio books, print books, and e-books all count.
- Visit the library to receive your stamp for each bingo with the potential of 4 bingos and a blackout per sheet.
- Bingo: Complete a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal line - maximum 4 bingos per card. Your first bingo prize is a personal pizza, remaining bingos receive bookmarks or stickers. All bingos include a grand prize drawing entry.
- Blackout: Complete all 25 squares and receive 4 bingos plus a blackout prize drawing entry.
- You will need to show each bingo to APL staff by March 16, 2024 to claim your prize and drawing entry.
- Fine Print: The Winter Reading Challenge is primarily for our adult patrons. Patrons under the age of 18 are welcome to play and receive bookmarks or stickers as prizes, but are not eligible for the pizza coupon or prize drawings. Bingos must be signed off by APL library staff. Each APL location will hold their own prize drawing. The blackout drawing will be systemwide, regardless of which APL location the blackout is verified at. You can use whichever bingo card you prefer, and turn it in to your chosen APL location. Every effort will be made to ensure that only one prize is awarded per person. APL staff and households are not eligible for prize drawings.
Help! I Need a Book
Use the booklists compiled by APL staff to help you find titles that match bingo card prompts, or staff are available during open hours in-person, through chat (M-F 10-6pm), and over the phone at 907-343-2975 (option 5). Staff are also available through Ask a Librarian and our personal librarian service.