Ready to get started? Place a hold in the catalog for the next available Chromebook.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ below.
What is a Chromebook?
A Chromebook is a laptop that runs Google’s operating system. You can check out a Chromebook to take home.
What can I do with a Chromebook?
- You can use a Chromebook to access the internet (a wireless internet connection is required).
- You can log in to social media accounts.
- You can check email.
- You can download files and save them to a portable USB flash drive.
- You can access Google applications such as Docs and Sheets to create documents (Microsoft Office is not available on Chromebooks).
- You can save files to PDF.
- You can use the built in webcam to participate in virtual calls and meetings.
Can I print from a Chromebook?
Chromebooks can not be connected to personal printers. However, you can send documents to the printers at APL locations, or download and save files to a USB flash drive to print elsewhere.
How secure is my information on a Chromebook?
Because this is a shared device, no personal information can be saved on Chromebooks. This includes:
- Browser history
- Payment methods
- Auto-fill options
- Log in credentials
The Chromebook will block downloads that are deemed dangerous. Additionally Google SafeSearch is enabled, which will filter explicit content from search results.
Who can check out a Chromebook?
Any adult with an Anchorage Public Library card.
*Not available to temporary or blocked cards.
How do I check out a Chromebook?
Place a hold in the catalog or call 343-2975 to place a hold. When you are notified that your hold is ready, come to the library and pick up the Chromebook.
How long can I check out a Chromebook?
Checkout is for 14 days. Renewals are available as long as no one else is waiting to check a Chromebook out.
How many Chromebooks can I check out?
One per card.
How do I return a Chromebook?
Chromebooks can be returned to any APL location during regular business hours. Do not put the Chromebook in a book return. Please hand it to a staff person.
What happens if I do not return my Chromebook by the due date?
Chromebooks that are past due will be disabled remotely and will no longer function.