Borrowing Time Limits
Anchorage residents may check out up to 50 items at a time including:
- Books — 21 days
- Magazines — max 5 for 7 days (no renewals)
- DVDs — max 5 for 7 days
- CDs/Audio Books — max 10 for 21 days
- Book Club Bags — max 2 for 42 days (no renewals)
- Read with Me, Lapsit, and Storypacket Bags — max 1 each for 21 days
- Holds — up to 10 holds at a time
- Partner library limits will vary by location.
You can renew most items up to two times. Magazines, Book Club Bags and items with holds can not be renewed.
To renew, login with your card number and PIN:
You can also renew by clicking on My Account in the upper right from any page on our website or from within the library catalog.
Once I'm logged into My Account, how do I renew?
Once you are logged in, select the "checkouts" tab to select the items you want to renew. You may renew items (other than Book Club Bags and magazines) up to two times if there are no holds on the item. The renewal period starts from the date you renew, so wait until the end of your checkout period to renew to maximize the length of your checkout.
What is a PIN and how do I get one?
Your PIN number is your password to access your library account online. To get your PIN, go to any library information desk or call 343-2975, select #5. Once you logon with your library card and PIN numbers at My Account, you may renew items, change your pin number, and place holds.
Pay My Fine
Fines may be paid through your online account, at a library self-check machine, or at the circulation desk.
Late & Damaged Materials Fees
If you return library materials late, or if you damage or lose library materials, you will need to pay a fee accordingly. For damaged/lost material, you will be charged retail price in order to replace the item in the library.
- 50¢/day - adult books
- 25¢/day - magazines, youth books and story packets
- $1/day - all media (DVDs, CDs, VHS, audio books, Playaways) and Book Club Bag kits
- $5 maximum fines per item; items over 17 days late will be charged a replacement fee, plus a $5 processing fee per item. See staff for details.
- Fines may be paid through your online account, at a library self-check machine or at a library desk.
- Fines of $100 and more are sent to a collection agency.
- Replacement fee payments can only be made at home libraries or online.
- Please note: Materials owned by partner libraries are subject to the owning libraries fines, fees and limits.