4/7/2021 – The wait is over. Browsing is back at all 5 Anchorage Public Library locations! Grab your favorite mask and your library card, then head into our Girdwood, Mountain View, Muldoon, Chugiak-Eagle River or Loussac libraries. Check out a new read, watch or listen from the hundreds of new items on the shelves. Use a computer and get connected to community resources. Our buildings are open, and we can't wait to see you! (Masked up and from 6 feet away please).
Check out our quick welcome video to help plan a safe and healthy visit.
What You Need to Know:
- All 5 APL locations have re-opened buildings with increased services
- A face covering or mask that meets the requirements of MOA EO-13-V4 will be required to enter our buildings and while using library services.
- Children age 6+ are required to wear a mask. Masks are recommended for ages 2-5
- Staff will be wearing a face covering/mask at all times.
- 6 feet physical distance should be observed while using library services.
- Traffic flow and spaces are different. Please follow all staff instructions.
- Some areas remain closed including all “Play and Learn” areas.
- Computer use is limited (See FAQ).
- Book drops remain open at all 5 APL locations.
- Curbside Service is limited, but still available (see below)
- Youth Programs to Go remain available.
- Personal Librarian Service remains available.
- Bus passes are now available for purchase
- Item donations remain suspended.
- Room rentals remain unavailable.
Wi-Fi is available 24/7 outside of all Anchorage Public Library locations, except for Muldoon, which is only available during business hours.
What You Need to Do:
- Wear a face covering or mask that meets the requirements of MOA EO-13-V4 when visiting the library
- Plan your visit and review the services being offered and how to use them.
- Follow us on Facebook , Twitter , Instagram and this page for future updates.
- Hold off on bringing item donations to the library.
- Enjoy our databases, Alaska Digital Library, Hoopla, Freegal, TumbleBooks, and many other digital options.
- Call 343-2975 option 4 Monday-Saturday during business hours to get assistance from a librarian or email Ask a Librarian.
Curbside appointments are longer available at Gerrish (Girdwood), Mountain View and Muldoon Libraries, but on-demand curbside is available. Just call the library at the on-site posted numbers and a staff person will bring out your holds.
Curbside appointments are limited to:
Monday-Saturday: 10-11 AM and 5-6PM
Tuesday: 11 AM-12 PM and 5-6 PM
Wednesday-Saturday: 10-11 AM and 5-6 PM
Limited Computer Usage
Computers are now available at all 5 locations
- Sessions are available by walk-in/first come-first served at all locations.
- There will be limited space to use your personal device inside the library, however Wi-Fi remains available outside all locations and MiFi devices are available for checkout.
- A face covering or mask that meets the requirements of MOA EO-13-V4 will be required to enter our buildings and while using a computer.
- Headphones must be used when listening with sound on.
Personal Librarian Service
Not sure what you want to read, watch or listen to? Love to browse the stacks? How about some research help for that school report, paper or article? We've got you covered!
Personal Librarian service will help you select something great for yourself or your family. We can also select items for research topics and navigate databases to get you started in the right direction. Tell us what you love or what you're researching. Librarians will choose options for youth and adults and selected items will be available through our curbside or in-person holds pick up.
Youth Programs To Go
Anchorage Public Library is not currently offering in-person youth programs, however we're very excited to offer Programs To Go! Pick up and take home a fun activity from your closest public library. We include all supplies, instructions, and suggest more resources to explore-- it's yours to keep for free and a new theme is available every two weeks, for preschoolers, elementary students, and teens.
Programs To Go are available at the walk-up service or with your curbside pick up.
Telephone reference (343-2975 option 4), e-mail service (email@example.com) and e-materials will continue to be available.